Friday, June 22, 2001

the ex from Maine

I didn't have the best time in the world when I was in Maine. Not just because I got food poisoning and threw up at 6am on the morning of the wedding I went all the way up there to go to. I was in the hotel room sleeping for most of the vacation.

The other thing was something that wouldn't even have occurred to me if my mom hadn't said something to the effect of, "hey, we both have ex-boyfriends from the Portland area!" My mom is weird like that.

Well anyway, we were at the bride's house the night before the wedding, and there was this guy there who turned out to be the next-door neighbor, who was also acting as the dj for the wedding. I was convinced that this guy was my ex's father or uncle or something. He had the exact same eyes and smile and it was FREAKING ME OUT. I was paranoid the entire time that my ex would just pop up somewhere. When he didn't show up at the wedding, I was still totally paranoid...we went to Old Orchard Beach and I was like, "he used to talk about how he was always going to the beach..." and when we went to the mall I was like, "what if he works here!??!" Who knows what the hell he's up to lately. Last I heard, he was the night manager at Kinko's here in Philly. But I haven't seen him around lately so God knows where he is.

One time last summer I was walking down Broad Street in the rain and I saw this couple walking down the street in the opposite direction. He had an umbrella, and she was all huddled under the hood of her sweatshirt. And I was thinking, "What an inconsiderate asshole! I don't know if that's his girlfriend, or just a friend, but you don't just walk down the street hogging an umbrella like that and not sharing." Right as I was passing them, I recognized the guy. It was the ex-boyfriend from Maine.

I couldn't help it. I laughed out loud. I laughed and laughed and laughed...

No comments: