Monday, June 4, 2001

*N Sync

I just got back from seeing *N Sync at Giants Stadium. There is so much I could say, about the silent film and the mechanical bulls and the hippity-hops, but I won't get into that. I'll even save my "art vs. entertainment" diatribe for another day. But I do have something that I want to mention.

Across the aisle from me, there were four 15 year old boys. Just sitting there. On occasion, they would make some sort of comment, although it was difficult to hear over all the shreiking 8-year-olds (and there is nothing more shrill than thousands of 8-year olds at an *N Sync concert). But mostly they just sat there. They didn't even participate in the pre-show wave that went around about 13 or 14 times.

Now I'm wondering, why were they there? The tickets were too damned much money (even in the 3rd to last row) to just go and make a point of how much you hate it. I think they were closet fans. They were just too embarassed to admit it, even though they were at the concert.

I say, if you go so far as to show up at the concert, then you may as well admit you're a fan. It's like going to a Cher concert and still insisting that you're not gay.

No comments: