Thursday, August 30, 2001

die, noisy neighbors

The people who live downstairs from me just got home and turned on their damned (that's dam-ned, 2 syllables) music. I was about to go to bed. Last night the music started at about the same time and lasted until at least 1 or 2. Last night there was screaming and such out in the courtyard as well. The music is that horrible thumping bass kind, that nobody actually listens to except people who stop next to you at red lights and the people who live below you.

When I first moved into this apartment, sophomore year, I actually became physically ill from lack of sleep. This is maybe the 3rd or 4th person who's lived down there AND THEY'VE ALL BEEN LOUD. I don't care if I sound like a crotchety old man. I need my sleep! I have class in the morning! (Yuk.)

I think my favorite downstairs neighbors were the couple who was always fighting. One time I thought someone was banging on the ceiling to get my attention because they were locked in the bathroom or something. Because there was quite a lot of screaming, too. Apparently, these people just banged on the ceilings when they fought, or something.

Next came the guitar player. Can't *really* complain, b/c I know that in order to perfect your tone, you have to practice with distortion and amplification. But every time I tried to take my mid-afternoon nap...at least it wasn't in the middle of the night.

Also *wonderful* (sarcastic) was the one who would bang on the ceiling when I would bang on the floor as a way of saying "shut up". (In my defense, there's no way for me to go downstairs and knock on their door, because their door isn't on the inside of the building; it is only accessible through the courtyard and I don't think my key opens the door to the courtyard. Besides I would have to get dressed, exit the building, walk all the way around, etc...)

Also in my defense, it does say on the lease to be quiet after 10:30.

I got tired of stamping on the floor; now I keep a tap shoe next to my bed, which I just kind of hammer away with. It harkens back to the days when I would put on my tap shoes and practice in the kitchen of my dorm room when our downstairs neighbor got obnoxiously loud. And, yes, his music was OBNOXIOUSLY loud. I can say this with complete confidence, because he made the concrete floors & walls shake. Ya gotta be pretty loud to make concrete shake.

No comments: