Tuesday, October 16, 2001

chicken HARD taco

Today was such an exciting day, that I don't know where to begin.

First off, did you know that you can order ANYTHING on the Taco Bell menu, with chicken instead of beef? It's true. I was standing in this colossally long line at Taco Bell today, all psyched to be getting my Baja Chicken Gordita and Chicken Soft Taco, and I found myself gazing longlingly at the picture of the regular, hard beef taco.

Now mind you, I haven't eaten beef since I was twelve, and I don't even consider it food anymore.

But I do love me some crunchy taco shells.

I decided that I would make some veggie tacos (using veggie "crumbles" - like ground beef, but not) sometime in the near future, and get my Chicken Soft Taco as usual.

And then I saw the sign.

It beckoned me to "Turn my Taco Bell favorite" into an "indulgence" by substituting "marinated chicken".

It was like a dream come true.

I was a little bit nervous as I stepped up to the cash register, because I've been going to Taco Bell for years and years, but I'd never had a special order. Special orders are usually a pain in the ass (I despise mayo with a hatred unknown in the universe, so I know whence I speak), so I was a little apprehensive about placing a special order at the peak of the lunch rush.

"I'll have a Baja Chicken Gordita, and...can I get a hard taco with chicken?"

"Sure."

She didn't even look up.

I was golden.

I was soooo excited that it never occurred to me that a chicken taco in a hard shell would be exactly the same thing as a chicken taco in a soft shell, only in a hard shell. In other words, it wasn't all that remarkable, as far as taste is concerned.

But oh, the shell...it was a hard shell. There's just no getting over that.

No comments: