Thursday, December 6, 2001

verbose

Right now I am taking a break from working on my research paper. I have a page to fill with my conclusion and I have to collect my thoughts and build up some more steam. And my way of doing this is to sign on and tell you all that my butt is numb from sitting in front of my computer all night.

It's shaping up to be a really good paper...except for the whole thing about it being too short. My succinctity is really a curse.

I know that "succinctity" isn't really a word. I make words up all the time. Usually when I make up a word, it is to replace a phrase. For example, the only other way I can think of to say what I said above is "My gift for stating things succinctly is really a curse." But "stating things succinctly" is, in effect, a verb (modified by an adverb), and I was looking for a noun, so I would've had to have added "my gift for." Now isn't "succinctity" a much nicer, more SUCCINCT way of putting it?

I'm sorry. I'm not usually this wordy. It's the damned (pronounced dam-ned) research paper. It's got me in verbose mode.

No comments: