Saturday, January 26, 2002

could it be...I'm a writer?

Okay, I wasn't going to mention this, but...remember that play I was working on a while back? The one act play with the serious issue and the political statement?

IT WAS ACCEPTED INTO EQUINOX!!!!!

If anybody is in town during the UArts Equinox festival (I'm not at all sure when it is yet), you have to come see it. Twice. Because what they're doing this year is having two directors and two casts for each play, so that there will be two totally different interpretations. Yippeee!

I feel so...accepted.

But here's a disclaimer, a few months in advance: it is in no way autobiographical, despite some similarities you may see between the main character and myself. Like her love for Cherry Coke and her uncanny knowledge of Fresh Prince lyrics. (Don't ask.)

Despite having the same setting as my musical Give it Up (a dorm lounge), this play (called Drowning Slowly) could not possibly be more different. The whole experience is really very frightening for me. I mean, I've always been extrememly shy about people reading things that I've written (I guess, in a way, that this site is an exercise in exposing my writing to the world and being comfortable with it). At least with my musical, it was goofy and stupid and a lot of it was bad on purpose, because it was a musical that made fun of musicals.

But this play, despite having some lighter moments, is serious. It deals with some serious shit. I'm afraid of people seeing it, because I don't know what they'll think of me. I'm worried that people will walk away from it thinking, "So THAT'S what's going on in her head. Wow. She's fucked up." Or maybe they'll walk away thinking, "Holy crap, what was she THINKING?! That was terrible!"

SIGH.

But anyway, I just read over the script for the first time since I finished it (distance is always good), expecting to see tons of things to revise. I found two spots to add a sentence. And when I finished, I thought to myself, "Damn, I'm good."

At least, I think so.

No comments: