Saturday, March 17, 2007

new blog

So...here I am. After six years at Diaryland, I finally decided that it was time to make the switch. There are a lot of things that I like about Diaryland - mainly, how easy it is to customize your template - you can literally do just about anything with it. I'm still trying to figure out how to get this one exactly how I want it - it involves learning some proprietary code - but this will do for now. This layout is truly a work in progress - I wasn't going to switch over just yet, but I can't get at my old blog at all right now (not even administratively) which was just the last straw. Hopefully I'll be able to get at it soon to retrieve my code and my archives.

It really has been a difficult decision; I'm a very stubborn person, which tends to translate to fierce loyalty. But really, I would like very much to not have to manually archive my posts, and I'd like to be able to post pictures to my blog directly from my flickr account, and I'd like a little more reliability. I considered using iWeb and my .mac account for my blog, but that has its own set of problems. I've never been a fan of prefab templates, and I don't like the idea of only being able to post from one computer, although the idea of seamless integration with iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand is tempting. Maybe in the future, if later versions of iWeb address my concerns about customization and archiving (tags, categories, etc), I'll switch over again.

I must say, though, that the one thing that really irks me about blogger is that the Blogger dashboard widget (put out by Google) doesn't work since Google took over Blogger. Um...what? How does that make sense?

No comments: