Tuesday, April 24, 2007

epiphany

I'm on day 7 of a 7-day detox diet. It was in the March 2006 issue of Body & Soul magazine. I did it last year and had a really hard time with it - this year is going much, much better. For instance, I haven't gone through half a bottle of maple syrup. I went to a birthday party yesterday afternoon, and even though the sugary cake, and the bowl of Hershey's Kisses, and the chips and dip all looked delicious, I just had absolutely no desire to actually eat any of them. I happily munched on carrots, celery and cucumber slices, and had some yummy salmon when I got home.

Anyway, when I did it last year, a friend of mine told me that she'd had some amazing yoga/meditation sessions when she detoxed. I didn't. I was too embroiled in sugar withdrawal and exhaustion to have any epiphanies.

Yesterday morning, though, I had an amazing epiphany in yoga class. I was thinking about how on one of my yoga videos, Rainbeau Mars (what a name!) talks about gathering in the blessings and drawing them down through your body when you do your sun salutes, and I was picturing those "blessings" as energy floating around me, and I saw it swirling around as I moved.

And then I started picturing the air molecules that I was disturbing with my movements. And I realized: if a butterfly flapping its wings can cause a tornado, then what effect does my breath have, let alone my movements? And if brain waves are electricity, and therefore energy, and if matter is energy, then maybe thoughts can create, or at least affect, your reality.

When I told Brian about this last night, I said, "Can you imagine how much of a difference it would make in the world if everyone just breathed deeply?" And Brian said, "Or farted."

1 comment:

Tara said...

That's trippy. The butterfly causing a tornado part, not the farting part.