Saturday, April 7, 2007

new job

In case anyone hasn't been reading the comments, my new job is teaching music classes for children ages 0-5. I am apprenticing for the spring session and will get my own classes starting with the summer session. One of the really nice things about the job is that I get to bring Brandon with me - so instead of paying to take him to music class, I get paid - and I still get to bring him.

My first day at work (on Tuesday) wasn't anything spectacular. It was a lot like just going to music class as usual, except that I already knew all of the songs and most of the activities. I tried to sit out of the first class and observe, but by the 3rd or 4th song, Brandon had just about had it with my non-participation and literally took me by the hand and dragged me into the circle.

He didn't handle going to two classes in a row very well - he got pretty tired and cranky when we didn't go home and take a nap after the first class was over (even though it was a much earlier class than he's used to). I'm afraid that we may have made a pretty bad impression on some of the other parents. For instance, he tried to steal a bumbo seat from a baby - he actually tried to push her out of it. I think it was because I didn't let him steal the footstool out of the bathroom in between the classes and he wanted something to climb on. All I can really do is hope that he will adjust to going to two classes in a row, because he will have to do it at least once a week, maybe more, when I start teaching my own classes.

One really nice thing that happened, though, was that I got the keys to the studio (even though I won't need them until late May at the earliest). I've never had the keys to my workplace before - even when I worked the morning shift at the coffee shop - even after my coworker overslept and was almost an hour late to work one day and we lost a bunch of business - even then I still wasn't given a key. But I have one now. It's nice to be trusted.

1 comment:

Mother Hoodwink said...

Congrats on the keys. I'm sure Brandon will get used to it and be a great little assistant.