Thursday, April 19, 2007

coconut oil


This week the carnival topic is "Favorite Beauty Secret/Product".

I was actually already going to write an entry sometime this week about natural shampoos/conditioners. I recently started using Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit & Sugar Beet Shampoo and Conditioner. My hair is really soft, full of body, and ridiculously shiny.

A lot of people who try natural shampoos and conditioners don't like them because they feel like their hair is left feeling "damaged" - here's the thing, though: natural hair care products don't damage your hair, they just reveal the damage that was already there. "Conventional" shampoos and conditioners leave a residue on your hair that makes it seem soft, smooth and shiny - healthy - but it's just an illusion. It isn't actual your hair that's soft and shiny - it's the chemical residues. So the first time you use a natural shampoo & conditioner, your hair isn't going to seem as nice. But if you stick with it (and get the dead ends trimmed off), your hair will eventually become healthier - and it will actually be soft and shiny!

That's not my favorite beauty secret, though. Other than drinking lots of water, eating well (not dieting, counting carbs or points or whatever - actually eating well), and taking a flaxseed oil supplement, my favorite beauty secret is virgin coconut oil. Once a week, I dampen my hair, apply some coconut oil, comb it through, leave it in overnight, and wash it out in the morning. My hair has been crazy soft since I started doing this. Coconut oil is pretty expensive, but you only use a tiny bit and it's so worth it.

3 comments:

Damselfly said...

Coconut oil, huh? I use olive oil on my hair once in a while. But I'll have to check out coconut now -- I'm sure it smells better! ;)

Kirdy said...

Great tip on the coconut oil. I've been searching for a new weekly treatment, and I will definitely check this out. Thanks!

Kate said...

Kerry! I got a HUGE tub of this on amazon and have been using it for everything - to wash my face, condition my hair, moisturize...and even to cook. LOVE IT. I should post it on WF.