Friday, May 25, 2007

how we met

This week the Crazy Hip Blog Mamas carnival topic is: “How did you meet your spouse/partner?”.

Brian and I met in college, in Chamber Singers. I believe the first thing I ever said to him was "Holy crap, that's the biggest locker I've ever seen!" Instrumentalists (he was a guitar major) had lockers big enough to fit their instruments in. Theater majors had lockers approximately large enough for a notebook and a sandwich.

A couple of weeks later he sat down at the piano before class and improvised a song about me. I'd like to say that he still does this, but mostly it's been the same songs for the last five years. Not too terribly romantic, these songs are, but they're funny. (Mostly they're about body parts and eating chicken.)

Anyway, I, being the scatterbrained dufus that I am, forgot to bring my sheet music to the concert. (I actually forgot to bring my clarinet to a parade once when I was in marching band!) So I asked if anyone wanted to walk back to my apartment with me to go get it (it was only a couple of blocks, but I was embarrassed to walk around the city in a long black velvet gown in the middle of the afternoon). Brian volunteered to walk with me, looking quite dapper in his tuxedo.

A few days later he called me and said that he was going to grab something to eat, and did I want to come with him? (Fellas: that is the best way to ask someone out. Truly. It takes the pressure off of both of you and it really does work.) At the end of the date, he told me to call him. (He later told me that he had decided that if I didn't call him, he wasn't going to call me.) A few days after that, I called him and invited him over to watch Friends. The rest is history.

1 comment:

Mother Hoodwink said...

Awww. I love improvised songs. All the men in my life who mean anything to me have made them for me. My dad, my brother and Josh. I have to say though, my brother's are the best.

I was hoping you would do this Carnival. I'm nosy and wanted to know the story.