Thursday, May 3, 2007

mo' money


Today's Carnival topic is "What do you wish you were taught growing up?"

When I was growing up, I was taught, both through indirect implication, and literally word-for-word in school, that if you want to get a good job and make a lot of money, you go to college. And if you want to get an even better job, you get a Master's Degree. I grew up believing, quite naively, that if I went to college and got a degree, I would automatically get a good job and make a lot of money.

Naturally this turned out to not be true. Of course it didn't help matters much that I got a degree in Musical Theater. But I know people with no college degrees who make a LOT more money than people with Master's Degrees. The statistics that say that more education = more money are just that - statistics. If you get a degree, you are statistically likely to make more money - but it isn't an entitlement - just a statistic.

This seems like such an obvious thing now, but it took a while for it to really sink in - and when it did, it took even longer for me to really digest it and be able to accept it. It was like my whole view of the world was backwards. I'm still mad at my elementary school teachers for perpetuating such bs.

2 comments:

amaras_mom said...

Yup -- was taught the same and like you, am living proof that a college degree does not guarantee dough. I know I am blessed to have the job I have and the house I live in. But it would have been nice to be slapped with the reality of cost-of-living!

Read your philosophy and loved it!

Here via the chbm!

Mama Zen said...

So true, so true! They also never mention owing your first born to Sallie Mae!