Monday, May 28, 2007

a rant, with video clips!

I read a rant in somebody's blog once (I don't remember whose) about racial stereotypes on Little Einsteins. It talked about how the white boy is the leader, and Quincy is basically a minstrel. (I don't really remember what they said about the girls.)

I, also, see racial stereotypes in the characters, but I have a different take on it. June (vaguely Asian) has an enormous vocabulary - she's always using (almost comically) big words. ("We're miniscule!!!!") Quincy is a very talented musician - he can play every instrument you can think of, ridiculously well. And the white kids? Annie's a singer who can't carry a tune, and Leo is a conductor who can't keep a beat. And this is pro-white and anti-minority? Puh-lease. (For the record: Brandon loves this show but I think I might like it even more than he does. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is his favorite.)

I have more to say about Playhouse Disney. Lots more.

How about those Imagination Movers? Why do I have the feeling that I went to high school with these guys? (Not these exact guys, but guys like them.) And I don't mean my performing arts high school. I mean, these were the jokers in the saxophone section in 9th period band class. It's like they were sitting around one Saturday night, taking turns inhaling marijuana through a gas mask and watching The Wiggles (which I can only imagine is much more interesting when you're high), and one of them said, "Hey, man, we could totally do this." And the guy next to him took a big hit and said, "Nah, dude, we could do it better. We could wear coveralls. Like movers, man!!"



Speaking of people who obviously did a lot of drugs in their youth: Lou & Lou Safety Patrol. So these parents have a daughter named Lulu. They then have boy/girl twins and name them Lou and Louise. Then they get a dog and name him Louie. Come on, people!! How f'ed up is that???

And you cannot tell me that that Ralph guy isn't on some serious hardcore illicit drugs. I swear to you, if I ever see him on the street, I will smack the crap out of him. SHUT UP ALREADY. You suck. Get a haircut.



And what is up with Higglytown Heroes? Are we really calling people heroes for doing their jobs, now? Or like Brian suggested, are they so frickin' dimwitted that anyone who has a clue is a hero to them? One of these days I'd really like to see an episode where instead of saying "Well, gee, that's one humdinger of an idea, there, Twinkle, but...", Fran says, "Twinkle, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul." Or maybe not a word-for-word quote from an Adam Sandler movie, but something to that effect.

Can we talk about Choo Choo Soul? "Everybody got they own style and rhythm." W. T. F. ??? This is children's programming, aimed at preschoolers - young children, just learning to talk. Can we at least try to teach them proper grammar? Please?

And I'm PO'd that they put Tigger & Pooh on during Johnny and the Sprites' time slot, and pushed Johnny back by a half an hour. Brandon loses interest, I seize the opportunity to turn the TV off, and I don't get to watch a really cute show that's the closest thing to musical theater I've been exposed to lately. (With a theme by Stephen Schwartz, people!)



1 comment:

Tara said...

Aww, we love Johnny and the Sprites. Boomba was a little freaked out by the puppets at first but now he likes them.

I've only seen the Little Einsteins a few times, but I never noticed any racial stereotypes. I have to look for them.