Tuesday, July 31, 2007

more proof I'm an idiot.

So, it turns out, I don't have a demonic serial-killer neon tetra. I actually killed all of my fish, by being a moron. Actually let me put some of the blame on the "detailed instructions" that came with our fishtank kit. But here's what went wrong, as near as I can tell:
  1. We didn't cycle it. Apparently you're supposed to do a 15% water change every 3 days for the first 8 weeks! I had no idea. I haven't had a community tank since I was a little kid, and as we learned in my previous entry, water quality is not an issue with Convict Cichlids - so it never came up with Holly.
  2. You shouldn't put goldfish in a tropical tank. I think I knew this, but for some reason I did it anyway. You shouldn't even use feeder fish (which are cheap, generally poorly-cared-for goldfish) to start off a tropical tank. Who knew.
  3. I added too many fish at a time, way too soon.
  4. I think the goldfish may have had fin rot, and infected the whole tank.
So I'm off to get a testing kit (I already got a pH testing kit, and the water is very alkaline - I put in some drops to lower the pH, hopefully that will help a bit, at least temporarily). One of the guppies is actually showing signs of ammonia poisoning (resting at the bottom of the tank) - so first things first I'm going to do a water change, then treat for fin rot, then start the cycling process over again - actually testing the levels and changing the water this time.

Derrrr.

4 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

You're going to have more fishy ghosts than Hardcore Holly, I think. They are so going to be haunting you for murdering them.

Kerry said...

You know what, though, I'm going to go ahead and blame the set-up instructions that came with the aquarium "kit". They said nothing about changing the water every three days and testing the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.
And as far as "you're not supposed to put goldfish in a tropical tank"?? I bought the 5 neon tetras and the goldfish at the same time. The lady at the pet store didn't say anything about how they shouldn't go in the same tank - as a matter of fact, she put them all in the same bag.
Anyway. One of my guppies died. He looked like he was doing a lot better, but he was dead when I woke up this morning. I'm bummed. :(

Mother Hoodwink said...

Ok fine. Maybe murder was too harsh. Manslaughter?

I think if you complained enough to the store about them not telling you this information AND bagging the fish together, you could probably get your money back or at least store credit. I would hate to think that they do that kind of stuff on purpose to sell more fish.

Also, my condolences on the loss of your guppy. And all your other fish. Has Brandon noticed at all?

Kerry said...

Yeah, we bought the kit at Walmart. Not gonna get much help there. If anything, the pet store where I bought the fish would probably give me a store credit for selling me a goldfish with fin rot - but I don't know where the receipts are and I flushed all the fish. Oh well. At least they were all cheap and on sale.

I think Brandon probably has noticed. He got really upset the other night when he was looking at the tank; I don't know if it was because there were a lot less fish, or because one of the fish was obviously sick and drifting, or if he was just upset about something completely unrelated.