Sunday, August 5, 2007

Saturday is MARKET DAY!!!

I just got back from the People's Open Market. I've been going for a few weeks now. I love getting fresh, local produce - for less than I would spend at the store. Today I spent $21.40 (including the dime I put in the parking meter) and I got:
  • a bag of onions
  • a large bunch of green onions
  • a bag of several ginger roots
  • 5 ears of corn
  • a Thai watermelon
  • a cantelope
  • a bag of mushrooms
  • a very large bunch of ladyfinger bananas
  • two avocados
  • a bag of snap peas
  • a red bell pepper
I would have gotten more, but I ran out of money. You can also get cut flowers; orchid plants; fresh shrimp, crabs, and fish; lots of different varieties of lettuce and occasionally some herbs as well; and of course, tons of different fruits and vegetables. Pineapples were only $2 today and they looked delicious. I wish I'd still had $2 left when I found them! Then again, I got two melons so I probably don't need a pineapple, too.

Anyway. I love going there. Love it.

5 comments:

Tara said...

I'm just over here stewing in jealousy.

Kerry said...

There must be a farmer's market near you. Sure they won't have locally grown bananas and pineapples, but whatever is grown locally is what's healthiest to eat anyway.

Tara said...

Oh sure there are. But they are soooo expensive. Our commissary has pretty good produce so it's ok. But they don't have good pineapples. I could go for fresh pineapple right now. Mmmm.

Kerry said...

The farmer's market is expensive? You must live in opposite world. How long until you transfer?

Tara said...

Too long!

There's a farm right outside of the base and they have a roadside stand but their produce is not worth the prices they give it. There is an organic farm about thirty minutes away. But because they do everything organically, they're pretty expensive. Our commissary usually has good produce but there are some weeks where nothing is good and on the verge of going bad. Oh well, I guess we all can't live in tropical places where there is yummy fruit. Boo.