Friday, November 16, 2007

hate me if you want, I don't care, it's just how I feel

It breaks my heart when I see a newborn - like a brand-new, one-day-old newborn, being fed with a bottle. Because that means that the mother didn't even try to breastfeed. I'm honestly not being judgemental here, I just can't understand it. In my head, I can manage to rationalize it with some effort, but in my heart...I just can't understand it. I know that some women are just not comfortable with the idea of it, and that is totally up to them, I'm not going to tell you what you should and shouldn't be doing with your body or your children, I really mean that - but it makes me so sad that our society has gotten to the point that there are women who are uncomfortable with letting their bodies do what they're meant (by God and nature) to do. I feel the same way about elective c-sections and inductions planned for convenience (which includes, IMO, being "overdue"). I'm sure that everyone who does it has all kinds of reasons, and I'm sure that many of them could be argued to be valid reasons, but it still just makes me sad.

2 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

I totally get it. What I don't understand is when women say that breastfeeding is gross to them, yet being pregnant and giving birth isn't a gross/weird thing to them?

But maybe the newborn you saw was getting a bottle until the mother's milk came in? Let's just pretend that's all it was.

Don't get me started on elective c-sections. Why a woman would want to have an unnecessary surgery is beyond me.

Kerry said...

The thing is...if you give the baby a bottle, then they're not sucking at the breast and the milk isn't going to come in! I like to pretend that the mother had a breast reduction surgery and can't lactate, or something like that.