Tuesday, December 11, 2007

the saga of the baby doll

I have been looking for a baby doll for Brandon. A basic, but decent quality, little boy baby doll so that Brandon can practice holding the baby, being gentle, etc. I had no idea it would be so difficult.

I looked at the Navy Exchange first. They had one single boy baby doll, and it was the kind with the freaky eyes that open and close, which are of course a choking hazard. All of the dolls that were appropriate for children under age 3 were dressed in pink and had definitely girly features.

I looked at Price Busters this morning. They had a couple that were decent enough, but they were $15 and I knew I had seen the same ones (or the girl versions thereof) at the Exchange for $10.

I went to the Air Force Exchange. Almost every single baby doll they had was dark-skinned. I don't mean dark dark-skinned (of which there was exactly one), I mean kind of light brown, like Native Hawaiian. Which would have made sense at the Navy Exchange, which is off base, and where 80% of the customers are unauthorized civilians whose friends and family sneak them in because they work there - so therefore, mostly Native Hawaiian. No, this was at the Air Force Exchange, which is actually on base. I can't explain it. Maybe they stock mostly light brown dolls at the Navy Exchange, too, but they all got bought up. I don't know. All I know is I wanted a light-skinned baby boy doll, because that is what I am having. The closest I was able to come was a gender-neutral Fisher-Price baby doll in a yellow duckie outfit...which was $15 as opposed to the non-name-brand baby dolls that were all $10 and come with accessories. This one came with nothing extra but it has pale-ish skin, dark hair, and big brown eyes.

It wasn't until I got home and looked at the receipt that I realized this is supposedly an "Asian" baby. Doesn't look at all Asian to me (round eyes and a skintone with no yellow undertones whatsoever) - but whatever. Figures that the only white baby boy isn't even supposed to be white.

Oh and Brandon's reaction? It scares the living bejeezus out of him. We're talking screaming, shaking, running away, the whole bit. I had to lock it in a closet. $15 well spent. I can only imagine what would've happened if I'd gotten the one with the freaky eyes.

1 comment:

Mother Hoodwink said...

Oh my. Don't worry, I highly doubt he'll freak out like that with the new baby. You're ahead of us. We haven't even bought a doll for Gavin yet. He does carry around a little baby doll that I played with as a kid so hopefully a bigger version won't freak him out too.