Sunday, December 23, 2007

swing your razor wide, Kerry

I am, in general, very tolerant of toddler behavior. I am a mother, I have a 2-year-old, I know how they act. And that is why I don't bring my 2-year-old to the movies with me. Bringing a 2.5-year-old to the movies is rude to the other people in the theater. Letting them run loose up and down the aisle and "talk" to the other people in the theater is just beyond words.

But bringing a 2.5-year-old to Sweeney Todd...that's just flat-out bad parenting. The R rating should have been a clue. Murder, cannibalism, child abuse, spurting blood and people being burned alive. Fun for the whole family!!!

And in case you're wondering, I didn't let the wandering go on for very long. Pretty much the second I noticed it I said, "whose child is this?" - knowing full well whose child it was, since there were less than 20 people in the theater - and they actually kept the kid pretty quiet for the rest of the movie.

And another thing...don't go to a movie adaptation of a Broadway musical - a sung-through Broadway musical at that - and complain about how there's too much music. And for the love of God, if you're going to complain, don't complain to the person who obviously enjoyed the movie, silently mouthing the words to the songs. Because if you were to say to that woman, "A little too much singing, huh?" - then she will reply, "No, actually. It's a Sondheim musical. What were you expecting?" and walk the f*ck away from your dumb ass.

I'll write a review of the movie itself when I get a little more time. Maybe tomorrow.

2 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

Wow. What are people thinking?! I'm scared that movie may be too gory for me let alone a two year old.

We'll probably go see it sometime this week. I saw a snippet of Johnny Depp singing and I think my crush on him got even bigger.

Kerry said...

It's not really gory, per se - at least it's not that realistic kind of gory. It is bloody, though - but it's really easy to know when to look away. It never comes out of nowhere.