Monday, December 31, 2007

toot toot

I like to be efficient with language. I always try to use the word that means exactly what I want to say, and I don't use a phrase where a single word would do better. If there is no one word to express what I want to say, sometimes I make up a new word, just to be more efficient.

Brandon is efficient with language in an entirely different way. If he recognizes that a group of objects or people or concepts all go together, he will choose one word to mean all of those things. For example, Mommy and Daddy are both "dah-ee". (Although he has been saying "mah-ee" occasionally for the past couple of days - finally). All colors are "gee" (green), all numbers are "sees" (six), all bugs are "bee", and peeing, pooping and tooting are all "pee". It's a little frustrating to change his diaper because he came up to me and said, "ah pee!" - only to find that his diaper is completely dry, and he was just telling me that he tooted. Still, I suppose it's a step in the right direction. I do appreciate his thoroughness.

No comments: