Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I can't believe I took the time to actually do this

First, check this out, or the rest of this won't make much sense:
http://kellyology.blogspot.com/2008/01/catching-my-attention.html

Do most American families really eat like that? Really? That's an awful lot of meat, and hardly any produce...do you think they even walk through the produce section when they go shopping? Or do they just run to the tomatoes with their eyes closed - "Aaaaaaaaaaah! Get me out of here as fast as possible!!!" The amount of processed food is saddening, but not really surprising. Often when I'm grocery shopping I'll see someone with nothing but processed food in their cart, and it makes me sad. Like last week I saw a woman with an entire cart full of Weight Watchers desserts and 100 calorie snack packs. Oh, and the "wheat" bread that isn't really made with whole wheat flour, and has high fructose corn syrup in it. Stuff like that. And maybe this is overly snarky, but I thought to myself, look at what's in my cart, and look at what's in hers. Look at how much I weigh, and look at how much she weighs - probably at least 15 pounds more than I do, and I am 28 weeks pregnant. How do people not get this? How hard is it to understand that real food = healthy, processed food, even the "healthy" kind = bad for you?

Well anyway. I decided to take a picture of everything that we're likely to eat this week (based on what's on the dinner meal plan and what we usually eat for breakfast/lunch/snacks). I was about 60% finished with putting everything away when I started remembering things that I had forgotten to take out and put in the picture: eggs, fruit snacks, Cheerios, green tea (Brian drinks a TON of green tea), an onion and a head of garlic. Imagine that that stuff is in there.



I spent $114 on groceries this week, but not everything I bought is stuff that's in the picture, and not everything in the picture is stuff that I bought today. I would estimate that we spend about $130/week on food.

2 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

I saw that article you linked a few months ago. I was just as shocked as you. Of course we buy pre-packaged foods with lots of preservatives in them but fresh produce, dairy and meat far out weigh that stuff in my cart. I know how gross I feel if we have a day long road trip and we're stuck eating fast food. I couldn't imagine eating junk most of the time. Ugh. I NEED my fruits and veggies!

Btw, I'm so jealous of all the cabinet space you have in your base house.

Kerry said...

Get ready to hate me, thats not even half of the storage space we have in our kitchen. We have two pantries...I use one of them for pots and pans.