Friday, February 8, 2008

bad day

I woke up today at 5am with the worst sore throat EVER. I managed to fall back to sleep for a couple of hours and woke up with my throat feeling better, but a really scratchy voice and a pretty nasty cough. Yuck.

I went downstairs to find that Brian had come home to shower after PT and brought smoothies for me and Brandon - which was really the only good thing that happened all day. Next up, I checked my email and got some disappointing news that made me pretty sad for a while.

I still felt pretty crappy at lunchtime and all I wanted was some chicken soup. I always have a couple of cans of soup in the pantry...but not today.

Brian checked the mail when he got home from work and, YAY, I got a package from Replacements.com. I've had some issues with them, but nobody else does what they do (as far as I know) and what they do is pretty darn cool. I ordered four things from them, two in my regular flatware pattern (Satin Aquarius) and two things in a different (more expensive) version of my pattern (Golden Aquarius).

I placed the order about a month ago, I think, so I was pretty excited to get it. I opened the box and unwrapped everything. Satin Aquarius salad serving fork? Check! Satin Aquarius infant feeding spoon? Check! Golden Aquarius wedding cake knife and pie & cake server...um...almost. The packing slip says "Golden Aquarius". The labels on the little baggies that the pieces are packed in say "Golden Aquarius". I paid for Golden Aquarius. (An extra $8 per piece, so $16 more than if I had ordered them in Satin Aquarius.)

But the pieces themselves? Satin Aquarius.

It's not like these are pieces that they just grab off of a shelf. They get the order. They take the wedding cake knife. They take a butter knife in the requested pattern. They cut the handle off of one and replace it with the handle from the other. Then they put it in a baggie with a label on it that clearly states which pattern it's supposed to be. Then they pack it in a box with a packing slip that also clearly states which pattern it's supposed to be. Plenty of opportunities to notice, "HEY, THIS ISN'T THE RIGHT PATTERN!!" You have to figure that somebody noticed at some point...maybe they just thought that I wouldn't notice?

Of course I was pissed off enough to call them right away, even though I knew the office was closed, and leave a message. And then it occurred to me...they don't exactly have the best attention to detail. They're probably going to call me first thing in the morning, not noticing that I live 5 time zones away. I wouldn't be surprised if I get a call at 3am tomorrow. Which would, of course, be a great start to another fantastic day.

ETA: They didn't call me at 3am, I actually wonder if they'll call me back at all, but I read their returns policy and it appears that, although it was clearly their fault, return shipping is my responsibility - and it must be insured. Oh, come on. I already paid $8.99 for shipping, now I get to buy a padded envelope and pay for shipping again, because they can't read. It's a damn good thing these pieces were purchased for a wedding anniversary and not for an actual wedding, because I'm sure they wouldn't be ready in time.

1 comment:

Mother Hoodwink said...

I HATE when companies screw up and making you pay for shipping. Josh just bought a $50 iPhone case (Yes, he ended up getting the iPhone.) online and their site never loaded the final page after he paid. He didn't get an order confirmation so he ordered it again only to have the same thing happen.

He ended up finding the same case for half the price somewhere else and bought one there. The next day he gets two shipping confirmations for the original site. Anyways, he has to pay for all of the shipping even though their site messed up and never sent him a confirmation that his orders went through.

Hope you're feeling better.