Tuesday, February 5, 2008

disappointment sucks

I got a Kitchenaid stand mixer for Christmas, and I was so freaking excited. I haven't done any baking since then, though, so I didn't use it until today. I wanted to make a King Cake. Making a King Cake is like making bread - there's yeast involved, and kneading, and rising. I happily put the dough hook on my new stand mixer, added the ingredients in the proper order, and waited for the moment when "the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl, forms a ball, and starts to climb up the dough hook." And guess what? It never happened. The dough got pushed to the side and climbed up the side of the bowl until the hook wasn't touching it at all. I ended up taking it out and kneading it by hand, probably doing it wrong because I've never made bread before and I had absolutely no patience left by this point. So now the dough is rising, I guess, but the whole thing will probably come out awful.

I don't know what I did wrong. I really don't want to blame the stand mixer. It was probably the recipe. The website I got it from said it was Emeril's recipe, but who the hell knows. I plan on making cookies tomorrow and I'm sure the stand mixer will come through for me. It had better, because I could have spent that $300 on a lot of other things.

ETA: As I suspected, I found another recipe with almost identical ingredients and very different instructions. Figures! Even the official Emeril recipe at Food Network has slightly different instructions. Well, I've already wasted 4.5 cups of flour, 5 egg yolks and about an hour of my time. I'm just hoping for the best at this point.

Edited again: So, uh, it didn't rise at all. I'll try again next year.

3 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

That's weird. Maybe it has something to do with the humidity or maybe your elevation.

Kerry said...

You know what I think it was? The instructions said to mix on "high" so I did. And then later I noticed that the instruction manual says to never mix yeast doughs at a setting higher than 2. I had it on 6. I think maybe I overmixed it.

Mother Hoodwink said...

Wow, yeah. That could totally be it.