Monday, February 11, 2008

garter drop stitch baby blanket


When faced with the proposition of knitting a gift for a baby of unknown gender, I had just about decided to buy some Swish Worsted in Sunshine and Sand Dune and do a yellow and beige striped blanket...when I remembered that I had a big ol' ball of white Bernat Softee Baby in my stash from waaaaay back in the day when I used acrylic yarn; I think I bought it in late 2004 or early 2005. As acrylics go, this one is pretty good...I didn't particularly enjoy working with it (I'm totally a yarn snob now) but it knits up pretty nice - definitely soft enough for a baby. (Though admittedly not as soft as the Swish would have been.)

Since the project was so simple, I broke the cardinal rule and didn't do a gauge swatch...I just estimated and cast on 125 stitches on size 10 needles. I worked in garter drop stitch (Rows 1-4: knit. Row 5: knit, looping the yarn around twice for each stitch. Row 6: knit, dropping the extra loops. Repeat.) until the ball ran out. It was just barely not long enough so I had to go buy another ball. Softee Baby is a little different now than it used to be, a little bit thinner, and it comes in a 120g ball whereas it used to come in a 140g ball - but it was close enough. They didn't have white so I chose a color ("Funny Prints", it seems to be called). I knitted 20 rows in plain garter stitch, then after casting off I picked up stitches from the cast-on edge and knitted 20 rows in the other direction so that it would be symmetrical. If I were to make this blanket again, of course, I would start with the 20-row border before switching to the main white drop-stitch portion.

So there ya go. Not exactly a pattern but more of an idea. Feel free to steal it. It's really easy, it took about a week of knitting in the evenings while watching TV. It would take about 3 50g balls of the main color and I'm thinking 1 50g ball of the accent color. The label says "sport DK"; it felt a little closer to sport if you ask me, but I guess a yarn of either weight would work.

3 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

I don't really know what you're talking about since I don't knit but your blanket turned out really pretty. :)

Kerry said...

Thank you!

Dianne said...

I can't even fix buttons but I do know pretty.

The blanket is lovely - very cuddly and serene.