Thursday, February 7, 2008

it begins

As a (soon-to-be) mother of two, I suppose it was inevitable that I would eventually have to deal with repeatedly telling my children not to stand in front of an open refrigerator for extended periods of time. I just didn't expect it to happen when my son was only 2 years old. With a teenager, or even just an older child, you can explain to them that they should decide what they want, then open the door and find it quickly - whether or not they actually do it is another matter, but you can at least explain it to them and know that they understand. A 2-year-old has no concept of electricity, much less wasting electricity. And sometimes there really is nothing in the fridge that he wants, and I end up getting a granola bar out of the pantry for him, which is, of course, even more frustrating.
What will life be like with two teenage boys? I don't want to know.

5 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

You know this is pretty much the only reason I was relived we weren't having a boy. I don't think our bank account could take feeding two teenage boys so close in age. No matter how much money we're making.

Josh said that he and his brother (two years younger) would go through a gallon a milk a day just between the two of them. His mom went grocery shopping every other day just to keep food in the house. So uh, good luck with that. You should buy a cow.

Kerry said...

Yeah, well, good luck paying for that wedding. ;p

Mother Hoodwink said...

Screw that. She can follow in family tradition and go elope and have her reception at Taco Bell. What? It's classy.

Kerry said...

Right. She's probably going to want one of those Disney Princess wedding dresses.

My mom asked me once (only half-jokingly, I think) why we couldn't just have the reception in the church basement with a bucket of chicken. When I gave her THE LOOK, she replied, "What? You could get two buckets!"

Mother Hoodwink said...

Wow, I want a Disney Princess wedding dress! I can wear it shopping or something.