Saturday, February 23, 2008

red raspberry leaf lemonade

Red raspberry leaf tea is very, very good for you when you're pregnant. But it does not taste very good, not at all. If it was recommended to drink one cup a day, I might be able to manage it with a LOT of honey, but you're supposed to work up to 4-6 cups per day! So since necessity is the mother of invention, I figured out a way to make it that makes it not only bearable, but yummy. (This is probably not the drink for you if you're struggling with blood sugar issues or excessive weight gain. Lemonade - real lemonade - has a lot of sugar in it, roughly 2 tablespoons per 8oz, yikes!)

Red Raspberry Leaf Lemonade
(makes 2 quarts)

Boil 6.5 cups water (I boil the water first in my teakettle and then measure and pour into a glass pitcher for brewing) and add 4 bags of red raspberry leaf tea (technically you're supposed to use 1 bag per 6 ounces of water, but I compensate by letting it brew longer, because I am cheap) and around 1/3 cup fresh or frozen raspberries (I don't really measure the berries, I just kind of estimate). Allow to brew to desired strength - shorter brewing time will give you a more lemonade-y drink, longer brewing time will come out tasting more like iced tea. I usually let it go at least five minutes. Remove teabags and pour through a tea strainer into a pitcher, squashing as much juice as you can out of the raspberries. Add 1 cup sugar and 1 cup lemon juice. You've probably lost some liquid along the way, so add enough water to equal 2 quarts. Mix or shake. (I use this bottle because it has measurement markings and can be shaken.) Chill. Serve over ice.

Yum!

2 comments:

Kerpickle said...

I wish you were pregnant the same time I was cause I tried and tried to do the red raspberry leaf tea but it was so nasty I gave up!!! This recipe sounds great-I'm gonna file it away for next time!!!

Kerry said...

You're a braver woman than I if you're having more than 2!