Sunday, March 30, 2008

It's the same hand as the wrist I burned, too

I almost had another super-nesting day yesterday. Almost. I dove right in to organizing the closet in the nursery and throwing blankets and burp cloths and cloth diapers in the wash. I found the newborn hats and socks. (There are still some sleepers and diaper covers that are MIA.) I brought Brandon to get a haircut.

Then I had to take him back after lunch to get the haircut fixed, because seriously, it looked horrible. It was practically a bowl cut. I realized, though, that it was my fault. She asked how short I wanted it and, in typical full-term pregnant lady fashion, I just kind of went blank and said..."Uhhhhhh...short...er?" It wasn't until I got home and realized how bad it looked that I remembered that I usually tell her to taper the sides. Whoops. So I had to take him back. They were awesome about it and fixed him up while they were giving another kid a break (this poor kid, he just did NOT want to be held in the chair!), and Brandon behaved really, really well, especially considering that it was his second haircut in one day, but it totally wiped me out for the rest of the day.

I couldn't get Brandon to take a nap, so I didn't get to take a real one, either. I managed to fit in a 20-minute catnap while he had quiet time, but that wasn't really enough.

Later in the evening, I had an unfortunate santoku incident while cutting scallions into thin strips for Ray Ray's Spicy Shrimp and Bok Choy Noodle Bowl. Oh, beloved santoku, it was not your fault. My knife skills suck. (Skip to the next paragraph if you're easily grossed out!) Right before it happened, I was thinking how I really should try to learn how to guide the food with my knuckles like Alton says, although I don't really know how you could do that while cutting something long and thin into even thinner strips. And just then, I took off a chunk of my fingernail, and a couple of layers of skin underneath it. It isn't all that bad, there wasn't even any blood on the skin that got cut off (yeah, I had to dig through the scallions to find it so it wouldn't end up in our food), but it hurts like a mofo.

Now I have to go out and find some good waterproof fingertip bandaids because I will be damned if I can't get into the shower and/or tub during my birthing time because I was stupid enough to chop a piece of my finger off. Brian said, "hey, we can put a plastic baggie over your hand. That would be awesome!" Yeah, like that wouldn't be distracting. At least I know my hypno-anesthesia works; every time I'd wake up to pee last night my finger would start throbbing, but then I'd get back into bed, switch off (go into hypnosis) and fall right back to sleep because the pain was gone. Suh-weet.

I have to stop typing now. My finger hurts.

5 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

You just gave me the heebie jeebies. *shiver*

I've seen your pictures of Brandon getting his haircut and behaving so well. Other than Gavin's very first haircut, he has thrown a HUGE fit. I don't know if you noticed but Gavin is sporting the buzzcut look. That's because we can't show our faces at the children's hair salon since our last visit. Josh now just buzzes Gavin's hair. Sucks in the winter but that's why they make hats.

Kerry said...

Whatever happened, I'm sure you could go back and it wouldn't be a a big deal. The last time we went in, Brandon screamed the whole time because he wanted to play with the train table. I apologized and the lady said she doesn't even hear it anymore, she just completely tunes it out. They're used to it.
I have noticed his buzzcut, btw, and it is adorable.

Mother Hoodwink said...

Trust me, we can't go back. At least not when this particular woman is working. Every time Gavin squirmed or started to cry, she huffed and rolled her eyes. At one point we tried giving him a lollipop to calm him down and during one of his fits, he flung it down her shirt somehow. We tipped her huge even though she was a complete bitch and we quickly left. I have no idea why that woman even works with children. She didn't once talk to Gavin and let him know that she wasn't going to hurt him or anything. Maybe we'll give it a try when it gets cold again so he doesn't have to wear a hat everywhere.

Kerry said...

Oh geez. I don't understand why someone like that would work at a children's salon. It reminds me of the incident we had at Sears Portrait Studio. At least she didn't leap at you and threaten to come to your home and hurt your family.

Mother Hoodwink said...

What?! Please tell me that did not actually happen to you.