Wednesday, April 2, 2008

"Don't fight the wave, you can't fight these big waves"

People say that there is no greater yoga lesson than parenthood. I disagree. While it's certainly true that parenthood is one lesson after another in living in the moment and letting go, I'm going to go with military life as the single biggest test of one's ability to live your yoga off the mat. You don't know where you're going next or even necessarily when, and if you don't like it, there really isn't anything you can do about it. You have to ask yourself, is getting upset going to accomplish anything? Or will it just sap my energy, make me miserable, make my children miserable, and make life generally unpleasant?

So, mahalo and domo arigato, US Navy, for teaching me, yet again, that it's pointless to try to control anything. Any illusion of control is just that, an illusion. Let it be.