Sunday, June 1, 2008

Blogoversary...Lucky #7

Seven years. Really? Seven years have gone by since I started blogging? Holy Cannoli.

I started my blog (or "web diary" as they were called in those days) at the end of my junior year of college, when I was home at my parents house for a few days. (I had an apartment in Philly year-round, so I didn't come home for the whole summer. That particular summer, actually, I spent most of in New Orleans with Brian. But anyway.) My friend Laura, who was then known as Cassie (don't ask) emailed me to tell me about her web diary, and told me I should have one because if I did, it would be really good. So I signed up for one and started posting my random thoughts.

You'd think that after seven years of doing this, I'd have all kinds of readership and advertising revenue, or at least that I'd have more than four people commenting on a regular basis. (Hi Tara, Dianne, Sonia and Josh!) But it seems that every time my fan base raises into double digits, something happens and I stop blogging for a while, and I lose them all. But I always come back. And while I used to care how many people read my ramblings, I can honestly say that I don't anymore. I don't care if anybody else likes what I write; I write because I like it. And I really can't imagine a world where I don't have a blog...as lame as that sounds. Besides, if I didn't have a blog, how would my mom know what I'm up to?

Picture time!!!

This is the street in Philadelphia where I lived for the first year of my blog's life, my building is the one all the way to the left:


And this is where the magic happened:

We just got rid of the yellow desk a couple of weeks ago, it was held together with angle braces and truly on its last legs - but it was still hard to let go of. The printer cart, though, is in the boys' room. I loved this computer, back when it used to work. I won it in a Back-to-School sweepstakes that one of those web portals was running...I can't remember the name of it though. I don't think it was Yahoo...Excite, maybe? Whoever it was that used to have a free internet access service. (ETA: It was Lycos.) It was an awesome computer at the time, although it was ENORMOUS. (We also finally got rid of the computer a few weeks ago, too.) Anyway, I miss having a MIDI keyboard as part of my setup. Maybe I'll get a new one someday.

So...that's all, folks. Happy Blogoversary to me!

4 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

Happy Blogoversary!! I always go through phases of wanting to get rid of my blog then I realize that I would miss it terribly. It's not lame. If you don't blog, you don't get it.

I stopped caring how many people read mine too. I don't even check the stats anymore.

PS I have a magnet of that "I wish I were a man so I could join the Navy." on the fridge. It's cute but ridiculously sexist. I think every Navy wife/girlfriend has something with that ad on it.

Dianne said...

Happy Blogoversary!!

I really enjoy reading you and if you did stop for awhile I would wait for you to come back :)

love your street in Philly.

Teena said...

Happy blogoversary!

Josh said...

Congrats!! I'm been out of the blogosphere for a few weeks, but I didn't want a miss a chance to be the fourth comment ;D

Oh and that computer is HHHOT, and you can totally have my midi keyboard :( so bulky.