Wednesday, June 18, 2008

news

We thought that we were going to be in Hawaii until next summer (2009), but it turns out that we're leaving at the end of this year. We've known this for a while, but the orders didn't come in until today, and I didn't want to say anything until we knew for sure.

So...we're going to Yokosuka, Japan for three years.

This would be one of the reasons why I had Jackson a week later than I thought I was going to. The day before I expected to give birth (when I'd already been having irregular contractions for several days), I found out that we're going to a duty station that is as far from "home" as we could possibly go, 8 months sooner than we thought we'd be transferring. Needless to say, news like that can cause more than enough stress to put off labor for a week or so. My first three thoughts were (in order): 1. BIL's wedding (next summer); 2. my new car; 3. our trip to Maui and the Big Island (which was going to be in December).

Well as it turns out, we might be able to make it to the wedding after all (fingers crossed!). But we can't bring the car - doesn't it just figure that the first time we ever buy a brand new car, we have to sell it a year later! And I never am going to get to Maui. We decided to go island hopping next month instead, but with a move coming up we can only afford to do one island, and the Big Island is both cheaper and more unique. So, Volcano National park it is!

The fact that Brian will be attached to a ship and out to sea fairly often is something that I'm choosing not to think about too much. I'm just excited that they have Ikea in Japan. Oh, and Disneyland. (If Brandon grows 3.5 inches in the next year and a half, he'll be tall enough to ride the rides, but young enough to get in for free. One of the advantages of being a tall kid, I guess. :)

In other news, Jackson had his tongue tie fixed today. He handled it like a champ, but Brandon got pretty upset on his behalf. I had warned him that it was going to look like they were hurting the baby, but they're actually helping him. I don't think it helped, though, that while we were waiting, there was a kid (a big kid, at least ten years old, I'd say) in the next room, screaming and crying like he was being tortured while they did something to his ears (I have no idea what). I tried to explain to Brandon that if you get scared, it hurts more, but if you're a big boy and act brave, it won't hurt as much; but I think it went over his head. I think that when he has his surgery, I'm going to have to play up the "if you're good, you'll get ice cream later" strategy...even though he is obviously going to get plenty of ice cream afterwards, regardless.

Speaking of which, today I learned that Brandon's tonsilectomy is going to require general anesthesia (yikes) and an overnight stay in the hospital (double yikes). The guy who schedules surgeries for the ENT clinic was out sick today so I don't know yet when it's going to be, probably next month (after our vacation, of course). I'll keep you all posted.

6 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

Aw, an overnight stay? He'll be fine, don't worry.

They fixed Jackson's tongue tie right there in the office? Is he eating better or is he too sore to a difference?

Don't worry about Japan. From what I know the band wifes are pretty tight. Maybe you can get one of those cool looking mini cars that still fits a family of four.

PS I'm jealous of all the cool places you guys get stationed. New Orleans doesn't count.

Kerry said...

Yup, they fixed him up right in the ENT clinic, just a spray then a shot then a snip. His latch is a little bit better but it's not dramatic at all. I think it might take him a little while to learn how to use his tongue.

Everyone keeps on telling me that there's a really tight community out there, but I'm still nervous because I'm not exactly very good at meeting new people.

I'm jealous that you get to shop at Target.

Mother Hoodwink said...

I don't get why you think that. When I first met you, you were outgoing and really nice. I liked you immediately.

Dianne said...

they'll let you stay with him right?

and is that possible with Jackson?
and do you want to?

It's been so long since I had a little one and I feel like everything is different

I've been counting on you and a few other young mom blogs so I can be a better grandma - one day, not yet :)

Japan sounds so exciting but I can also see the concern about meeting new people. What about the first meeting worries you? Maybe we can practice til it's time for you to move

and we'll always be here :)

Kerry said...

Thanks, guys. :)

Tara, I think you met me on an unusually good day. :) I usually have a lot of anxiety in social situations, especially with people I don't know very well. I think that if Brian hadn't been assigned as Dim's sponsor we might not have ever become friends. (Isn't that a horrible thought?)

Dianne, I really want to stay with him but I don't think it'll be practical with Jackson. Brian's going to stay with him, and he said that if they tell him to leave, he'll tell them to shove it up their ass. It's a pretty good hospital, I don't think they'd make a two-year-old stay overnight by himself.

And you are going to be an AWESOME grandma someday!!

Dianne said...

thanks kid for the vote of confidence on my granny capabilities.

I'm sure they'll let Brian stay. I've never heard of a hospital that wouldn't. My son was 18 when he had surgery and they let me stay.