Wednesday, July 2, 2008

puttin' it out there in the Universe

Pray for me that when we get to Japan, there's a used Mazda Premacy available, in our price range. Because apparently that's what they call the Mazda 5 over there, and dammit, I love my car! It seems that it's been available there for a couple of years longer than it has been here, so I'm actually pretty hopeful. I just feel like I'd be a lot more comfortable in a familiar vehicle...except that the steering wheel will be on the other side of the car. You know what, driving on the other side of the street doesn't freak me out nearly as much as driving on the other side of the car! That is definitely going to take some getting used to.

It's kind of funny, I'm hopeful about the car, and the phone (more about that later) but I am absolutely expecting the worst as far as housing. Everyone says that we'll be able to afford something pretty nice if we live off base, which is probably what we're going to end up doing, if only because it'll be (a lot) quicker than the waiting list for base housing. Living off base in another country scares the crap out of me, but whatever. Anyway, everyone says we'll be able to get someplace decent, but I still have it in my head that we'll be in a 2 bedroom apartment, on the 65th floor, with paper walls and a kerosene heater and no air conditioning and windows that don't open. And no elevators. Obviously it couldn't possibly be even close to that bad, but I'd rather expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised.

But when it comes to the car, for some reason I'm able to be optimistic. I guess because it just isn't as important and I won't be as disappointed when I don't get what I want. I mean, we're pretty much going to drive to the supermarket and take public transportation everywhere else anyway.

As for the phone... I am totally getting an iPhone when we get there; they'll be available in Japan later this month. Of course there are much, much cooler phones available there, but let's face it, I'm a Mac person. I have three Macs. I also have a .mac membership, which means that I'll automatically be enrolled in the Mobile Me service whenever it finally rolls out. So if I have an iPhone, too, then my contacts, calendar, email, photos, etc, will all be automatically synced between all three computers and my phone. How can I pass that up? I don't need the latest and greatest Japanese technology. The latest and greatest American technology is good enough for me.

But who knows, I may very well change my mind when I get there and see what's available. I've always been a little bit of a techie. I have a temporal artery thermometer, for Pete's sake! I feel like Dr. Crusher every time I use it. It's very cool.

2 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

Holy crap, I didn't even know there was a thermometer like that. I want one!

I would be scared to live off base in a foreign country (or New Orleans) too. At least Japan is really safe. When Josh lived there his family lived off base. They lived in a place with paper walls and all that. He says now it's much easier to find modern homes.

What side of the road do you drive on when you're on base? I would think you would drive on whatever the country your in drives on, but it is US soil. Hmm.

Oh, and I'll send out some Mazda 5 prayers for you.

Dianne said...

I'm doing a Mazda dance as we speak ;)

I drove in the UK for a bit. Was really hard to get used to, once I opened my door and started to back-up because I was so far from the curb. Almost took out a fire hydrant.

Once I was acclimated I kinda enjoyed it.

So much to think of!