Wednesday, August 6, 2008

it's been a while since I've talked about knitting

So I was perusing the KnitPicks website to try to figure out how much the bag I've been meaning to make for ages now would cost. I recently got new suitcases at a Sharper Image store-closing sale (my old one was literally held together with duct tape - that's what happens when you buy your luggage at Walmart) and I want a sharp new carry-on to go with them. I was planning on knitting this bag in two strands of worsted weight yarn, one dark gray, one in a dark gray/light gray twist; and I was also going to throw in a strand of blue/indigo heathered fingering weight yarn (this is probably my favorite yarn color EVER - it looks almost iridescent - and I have two balls of it, but I have no idea whatsoever what to do with it). The effect was going to be kind of tweedy - dark gray with flecks of light gray and indigo. Beautiful.

But doesn't it just figure that the dark gray/light gray twist has apparently been discontinued. So since Knitpicks has been adding new colors like hotcakes lately (so much for the dozen or so swatch cards I bought last year) I figured I'd see if any of their new colors struck my fancy.

I clicked on Shamrock, a heavy worsted weight wool yarn that's kind of tweedy thanks to the one strand of hand-dyed yarn that's twisted into it. Each colorway is named after an Irish clan. It's a nice yarn but I've never been really crazy about any of the colors (at least not for myself - this hat was double stranded Shamrock, but it was a gift) - but I figured hey, let's see if any of the new colors are any good.

Imagine my surprise when I saw that the name of one of their new colors is my maiden name! And get this, it happens to be the exact colors from my high school.


Unfortunately, I don't want a red bag so I'm going to go with Beckett, since it is pretty much exactly what I want! Dark gray, with flecks of my favorite colors. Brilliant!


Of course, I am so incredibly backlogged with projects that I have no idea when I will be able to get started on this one. I am not even close to being done with my MIL's Christmas present from last year. I may or may not have it done by Christmas this year. "A lace scarf?" I thought. "That shouldn't take too long! I mean it only uses one hank of yarn, after all." Riiiiiiight...

ETA: which fabric is better for the lining?

(or I could go to Walmart and get one of the hundreds of aloha prints [aka Hawaiian print] that they have for dirt cheap)

Opinions?

4 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

I like the last one. Although the first one might match the outside better.

Ty'sMommy said...

Well, I was going to give my vote, but its exactly what Mother Hoodwink just said.
That being said. Walmart fabric sucks. Don't do it. Just don't. try www.fabric.com they have beeautiful stuff.

Kerry said...

Oh believe me, I know. Walmart just happens to have a really good selection of aloha prints. I generally get ALL of my fabric from fabric.com.

Ty'sMommy said...

How fabulous! Great minds really DO think alike!