Wednesday, September 24, 2008

political soapbox

I got an email today from Moms Rising with a pretty disturbing statistic - in 2004, 1 in 12 women didn't vote because they weren't registered. So if you haven't registered to vote...please go do that now.

And if you're one of the people operating under the logic (or lack thereof) that "I don't like either of the candidates, so I'm not going to vote at all" - that is right up there with the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Your decision to not vote isn't going to mean that neither candidate wins the election. One of those people is going to win, whether you vote or not, so just pick the one who bothers you less, okay? Or else you have no right to complain.

Not to mention that the presidential election isn't the only election you should be voting in. You have local elections, too! Again, if you don't vote, you have ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to complain about the way things turn out. Freedom of speech, my ass. A Democracy is a contract between the government and the governed, and if you don't hold up your end of the bargain, then you're just a freeloading ninny. Grow up and vote.

I didn't mean to get quite so worked up, sorry. Okay, I'm done now.

4 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

I agree!

We became citizens of TN so we could actually go vote. Absentee ballots don't even get opened if there is more than a small percentage difference in the outcome. So we felt like our votes didn't count at all. Especially since VA is a red state.

When I saw the title of this post I thought you were going to talk about your views. I got all excited.

I'm so scared of showing my true political colors that I have a MySpace survey that I have yet to post because they're all political questions and I got mighty worked up as I wrote it.

Kerry said...

Yeah, we're registered here...not that Hawaii matters anyway (they're calling the election before anyone here even gets off of work), but whatever! We would have stayed registered in Louisiana, but they actually notice when your address changes. (For instance, when we moved from Orleans Parish to Plaquemines, they sent us little postcards telling us to re-register.) This, as opposed to the county where I grew up in New York, where I may very well still be on the register. Unless I'm remembering wrong (and that's definitely possible), I got summoned for Jury Duty...two years ago, maybe? Four years after I registered in another state. *eye roll*

I think that we have very similar views, you and I. I try not to get too specific, either...but let me put this out there: Sarah Palin scares the ever-living crap out of me.

Mother Hoodwink said...

Why is it that LA has their shit together more than NY and VA. The same happened to me. I was called for jury duty about two years ago too and my mom got a letter from the DMV a few months ago saying I owed my car tax. My car has been registered in TN since we moved here three years ago.

I so agree. Sarah Palin is not for women at all. It upsets me that so many Hilliary people are going to vote for McCain since his VP pick has a hoo-ha. She's just Bush with lipstick.

Dianne said...

Bush with lipstick!! Oh thank you! I needed to hear that right now, I just saw her interviewed and my stomach is twisted so tight.

anyway - I just wanted to say Brava.