Thursday, October 2, 2008

let's all have a good laugh at my expense, shall we?

I wasn't going to post a picture because, frankly it's embarrassing as hell, but Josh asked so nicely, and I have to admit that it's pretty funny.

I baked a cake yesterday. I wanted to try using marshmallow fondant at least once before Brandon's birthday, because I want to make a truly awesome cake for him this year, and the way my mind works nowadays, that means fondant. What can I say, I've been watching a lot of Ace of Cakes and Food Network Challenge and I thought, well, I can do that! It's just cake. (Go ahead and read the site that I linked to, and see if it doesn't make it seem sooooo super easy!) I did, however, have the common sense to realize that I should try it a couple of times first.

I thought I'd start with something simple: just a 2-layer, 9-inch round cake. Easy-peasy.

I don't know if the fondant itself was the right consistency because I've never used it before. It certainly didn't turn out looking right. But that was the least of my problems. First of all, even though I used the same buttercream recipe that I used for my birthday cake two weeks ago (and the same size cake), and I had leftovers then, there wasn't enough to completely cover the cake. So the buttercream layer wasn't nearly as thick as it should have been.

Then, the ganache that I made for the filling turned out...just...not right. Apparently, Ghirardelli squares that are completely oxidized (to the point of crumbling to a fine powder at the slightest touch) make a pretty good ganache - this is what I used for my birthday cake. But Hershey's semisweet chips? Not so much. I don't know how it happened, but there were little chunks and bits of chocolate and it was just not right.

So maybe the filling being "off" contributed to the two layers sliding apart when I layed the fondant over the top. I don't know, but suffice it to say, the layers didn't stay where they were supposed to.

And when I started "smoothing" out the fondant - not only did the fondant start tearing, but the cake did, too.

So why didn't I peel off the fondant, reposition the cake (maybe make another batch of buttercream to help rebuild), then re-cover it? Because it was sticky as all get-out. Like I said, smoothing the fondant tore the cake. Maybe the cake was too moist. Maybe the sticky consistentcy is the way marshmallow fondant is supposed to be - after all, it is just marshmallows and powdered sugar. Or maybe I just f***d it up completely.

Anyway. Here's the picture. And yes, I know you're not supposed to refrigerate fondant-covered cakes...but I wasn't all that worried about ruining the finish.



Let's call it my cakey tribute to Josh's staph-infected-poison-oak-face. That makes it art, as opposed to just being sad.

It did taste delicious, though.

3 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

No, don't take the blame. Blame Hawaii's humidity.

I'm planning on using fondant for Maggie's birthday. But I'm just making frosted cupcakes and decorating them with shapes cut out of fondant. I'm not as brave as you.

Kosher Tofu said...

My face was NOT delicious, thereby making your cake better than my face. It's pretty damn close to being a spot on cake-imitation of my pain an agony. Near perfect as it may be, I think you could have managed to make it "puss" more. Can you make puss out of fondant?

Project!

Kerry said...

Well, there were patches of buttercream peeking out from holes in the fondant...can that qualify as pus?