Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Super-Simple Nachos



On Super Bowl Sunday a couple of years ago, I decided to do a kind of party-food tapas. I didn't make any actual "lunch" or "dinner", just a bunch of fun, eat-while-you're-watching-TV kind of foods: wings, fries, nachos, etc. I invented my own "recipe" for nachos, which Brian dubbed "Supernachos", and it has been a part of our regular dinner rotation ever since. I don't think they're necessarily "super"; they're actually pretty basic. But they're good, and they're easy.

All you need is tortilla chips, refried beans, pickled jalapeno slices, and shredded cheese.


Spread a layer of chips on a microwave-safe plate.


Using a 16" pastry bag and a Wilton Cake Icer Decorating Tip (#789), pipe a layer of refried beans over the chips. I have tried many different methods of spreading the refried beans, and finally settled on this - it is by far the easiest, the least messy, and gives the best results.


Place some pickled jalapeno slices on top of the beans. I don't use as many as I used to; they used to be pretty thinly sliced out of the jar, but they've been really thick lately. You could chop them into smaller pieces if you wanted the heat and the delicious jalapeno flavor to be more evenly spread throughout the nachos.


Add a layer of shredded cheddar cheese. I personally like to use Kraft Mexican 4-cheese. (I don't like the "taco cheese", with the seasonings in it, but you could certainly use that if you do like it.)


Pop it in the microwave until the cheese is melted. It takes about 2 minutes in my microwave, but my microwave is old and always takes at least 30 seconds longer than the stated directions for ANYTHING. So maybe try a minute and a half first.


I usually make individual plates for everyone when we have this for dinner. This makes it possible to personalize it - for instance, mine gets more cheese, Brian's gets more jalapenos, and Brandon's gets no jalapenos at all. Last night I put some cilantro on mine.

This is particularly good served with homemade guacamole, but then again, everything is.

2 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

A pastry bag! Wow that makes so much sense. So much better than a big dollop messily spread with a finger. Thank you!

Kerry said...

You're welcome! Yeah, it took me about a year to figure out to use the pastry bag, and another year or so to think of using the icer tip. It's so brilliantly obvious that I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner.