Sunday, November 23, 2008

the Amazing Spongebob cake


I had to keep on leaving the cake to put Jack back to sleep, so I recorded this in five separate sections. Turns out, though, that the video files that Gawker makes can't be imported into iMovie, for whatever reason, so I had to upload them to OneTrueMedia to string them together. Grrrr.

I could have very easily left out the section where I tried to cover the cake in fondant, but I included it because it was part of the process, after all. It kept on tearing, so I went to plan B - little frosting stars. I didn't want to do the little tiny ones because that would have taken forever, but I figured that bigger ones might actually look like a pineapple - little did I know that the larger star tip (1M) doesn't make actual stars, per se - they turn out kind of petal-y. It ended up looking kind of like a papier mache pinata. And the gumpaste leaves were out of proportion - way too small for the cake - and kept on breaking and falling over. And the top layer was separating from the bottom layer and a crack opened up in the icing - oh well, it made it easier to separate the two halves when it came time to cut them.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. And it was delicious, by the way. :)

5 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

Wow! This is awesome. It looks great!

Mother Hoodwink said...

PS What did you use for the sand?

Kerry said...

Thank you! I used graham crackers crumbs, since I accidentally bought two boxes last week.

Sunshine said...

That is so awesome, I'm amazed!

Dawn's Thoughts said...

Be sure to make a cake scrapbook. Your creations are worthy.