Sunday, November 16, 2008

tick...tick...tick...

I'm watching the days tick away in the countdown in my sidebar, and I can't believe it. Every day is one day closer to moving, to living in another country for three years. Moving sucks enough as it is, but how are the children going to handle it? How are we going to handle it, just logistically, with the children? How are we going to get the carseats there? (We do NOT have two pieces of checked luggage to spare, seeing as how we will be living out of our suitcases for God knows how long.) How do we decide which toys to pack in the suitcases, and what happens when one of the boys asks for one of the toys that we didn't bring, that we won't see for two months? Where are we going to live? How will we get through the day without the Disney Channel and especially Noggin? And how am I going to find Burt's Bees shampoo and conditioner in Japan?

I feel woefully unprepared for any move, let alone a trans-Pacific move. Day-to-day housekeeping is hard enough to squeeze into my day; purging my closets and cataloging my belongings is pretty much out of the question...but it must be done.

I am not knitting Christmas presents this year. There is just no way.

Brandon's birthday party is a week from today. Then comes Thanksgiving, then we get ready for Christmas. Then it really has to be down to the business of getting ready to move. There's just so much to be done. You have no idea how much unnecessary and redundant crap we have. And it all has to be sorted through. Oy.

On an unrelated note, Jack is so eager to stand up and walk, that he keeps on pulling himself up and letting go. Of course he falls down. Yesterday he busted his face on the coffee table. He looks like Rocky, and the coffee table has been temporarily removed. He seems to have inherited his brother's knack for getting facial injuries at the worst possible times. Looks like it's going to be another week or two before we take the pictures for the Christmas card. (Don't worry, he's fine. Just a little swollen over his eye. He's looking much better today than yesterday.)

3 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

Aw, poor Jack. He got his learning to walk badge of honor.

It's kind of funny because right before I read this, I told Josh that we only have about five weekends until we move. Our move isn't near as stressful as yours but we're still overwhelmed. We haven't done a thing to get ready other than make lists in my head. We'll be living without our stuff for a couple of months until we get into the housing we want. At least we'll have Nick Jr. Have you been stocking up on DVDs?

If you need someone to send you some comfort items while you're over there, I'll do it.

Kerry said...

Aww, thanks. If we need anything, I'll let you know. :)

We haven't really been stocking up on DVD's too much; I do plan on getting a few more before we leave, but I'm thinking that we'll either get an Apple TV unit or just a wire to connect the computer to the TV (depending on what our living arrangements look like) and buy shows on iTunes. Ahhhhh, technology.

Dawn's Thoughts said...

I felt your stress while I read what you wrote. I would be scared to death, but you will be fine and strong and show your boys that all will be fine. I am glad Jack is okay. Those darn coffee tables! My son left teeth marks in ours! Oh and Kerry when you are stressed, SING, it really calms the nerves.
Blessings