Saturday, December 13, 2008

how about "Hanukkah on Sesame Street, featuring Murray"?

Okay, so...Children's television shows. Holiday specials. They're either about Christmas, with no apologies (like, say, Go Diego Go); or they're about "The Holidays", generically, without naming names (like Wow Wow Wubbzy); or they do a little bit about everything (like Blues Clues). I would really like to see a Hanukkah special, that's only about Hanukkah. Or a Kwanzaa special, that's about Kwanzaa and nothing else. Just for a change of pace.

2 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

I agree. It's good to expose kids to other religions/cultures. I don't know if it's just me because we live in the Bible Belt or it is nationwide because a Republican has been in office but I feel like I rarely see kids being exposed to anything other than very conservative Christianity.

Kerry said...

I don't know, it might just be where you live. Or it might be where *I* live that I don't see as much of that.

I remember there was this one song we did in Music Together, a Native American song called "The Earth is Our Mother". It's very controversial to some people; super-Christians hate it and there have been cases around the country where people have left the program over it. The way I handled it in my classes was that I gave a little speech about exposing our kids to other cultures, then had everyone close their eyes and asked that anyone who would prefer I sing "The Earth is LIKE our mother" to raise their hand. I did have two people in one of my classes raise their hands, one home-schooling Military mom and one Local grandma. That was two families out of about twenty, and I don't think there was anybody in any of the other teachers' classes. I think that, on the whole, people "got" it.

So like I said, I don't know if it's a matter of where you live being super-conservative, or where I live being super-liberal, or if it's a combination of the two.