Saturday, December 6, 2008

an open letter to butter

Oh, butter, you yellowy, sublime stick of milkfat, semi-solid at room temperature, with your smooth, delicious taste...let us never part again.

When I bought those sticks of Crisco, and that tub of palm oil, I swear to you, it meant nothing to me. I bought the Crisco because I was taking a cake decorating class, and I wanted to learn the way you're "supposed" to do it before I started branching out and experimenting on my own. I bought the palm oil in an attempt to replace the Crisco with something natural and unprocessed. But even the organic, sustainably harvested palm oil has a chemically aftertaste, and no amount of artificial butter flavoring could make it taste like you.

So, butter, even though you will never be able to create a pure white frosting, and even though real buttercream is difficult as all get-out to decorate a cake with, and cakes iced in real buttercream need to be refrigerated, I swear to you that you will always have a place in my kitchen. Because damn it, butter, you taste amazing.

2 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

Can I co-sign on this?

Helen said...

Does Brian know you are having a love affair with butter?