Sunday, February 22, 2009

fingers crossed

I'm getting so boring. But I'm going to keep on pounding on this one note until I get it out of my head.

Last night I cooked up a batch of Michele Foster's Fondant (MFF, as opposed to MMF, which is marshmallow fondant). It has to sit for 24 hours so I didn't know how it turned out until just now. I was worried that I might have mixed in too much sugar; and it's just a tad dry so I think I was right about that. But wow - it tastes great, like a marshmallow (as opposed to marshmallows with extra sugar mixed in, which is of course what MMF tastes like). It's still sweet, but not cloyingly so. It's stiffer than MMF; it seems to hold its shape a bit better. I don't have a cake to cover with it just yet so I don't know how well it will work, but I have a good feeling about it. MMF is so unforgiving; MFF feels a little more like the Wilton stuff. (But doesn't taste like cardboard!)

I do, however, have a tab open with a website where I can buy Satin Ice (which, I have been told, is the brand of fondant that Charm City Cakes uses). Just in case.

No comments: