Thursday, May 28, 2009

well, I'm back.

It's been so long since I've written a proper blog entry, and so much has happened, that I don't really know where to start.

I live in Japan now.

As soon as Jack got adjusted to being here, he started teething again. Fantastic. Brandon is doing great; he's at a really interesting age. Sometimes he just makes you want to rip your hair out, but at the same time, he's finally verbal enough to tell you everything he's thinking, and often it's pretty damn funny.

I'm potty training both of them at the same time. Seriously. Neither of them is making progress any faster than the other.

Our apartment is really nice. The floor plan is great, the square footage is supposedly more than our housing in Hawaii (although I don't think that includes the garage, which we used as a playroom - or the yard, of course) and the location is PERFECT. Right now I'm looking out the huge dining room window/sliding door (takes up the entire wall) at Tokyo Bay; on the other side of the building is a short (like 2 minute) walk to the Commissary/Exchange/Food Courts (the one with Taco Bell and Starbucks, and also the one with Dunkin Donuts) and the new building that will house the library, Fleet & Family Support, etc. Standing in front of my building, facing the Commissary, across the street to your right is the elementary school (the preschool is a small building on the Elementary School grounds). Across the street to the left is the big huge state-of-the-art gym, which has a special room for moms with young kids - like 3 or 4 elliptical machines and a big padded area with toys for the kids to play with. Across the street from the gym is the Chapel, and about a block away is the Post Office and the other food court (the one with Subway and Cinnabon). McDonald's and the bank are another block down the main road towards the Womble Gate (also called the "back gate", or, as I learned yesterday, the "Mikasa Gate" by local Japanese citizens). Right outside the gate is Mikasa park, which is beautiful, and there's a 7-11 a block away (convenience stores are a fantastic place to get cheap, quick, fresh, DELICIOUS Japanese food).

If you turn left at 7-11 and walk along the water for about 15 minutes you get to Home's (like Home Depot) and Livin (just bought out by WalMart). If you go one block to the right from 7-11, you get to Blue Street, the main drag in Yokosuka. At the end of Blue Street is Yokosuka-Chuo Station, on the Keikyu Line. If you turn right at 7-11 and walk all the way past the Main Gate, you'll get to the Daiei Mall, and past that is the JR Yokosuka Station. Both lines will get you to Yokohama and then Tokyo; I believe the Keikyu Line eventually makes its way to Narita Airport (it takes like 2 hours).

But back to my apartment! It has tile floors so it's really, really echo-y right now. We had a major Ikea quest on Monday (Keikyu Line from Yokosuka-Chuo to Yokohama, JR Yokohama Line from Yohomama to Shin-Yokohama, free shuttle bus to Ikea) and now we have a big corner sofa, a very colorful striped living room rug, chairs in both boys' bedrooms, a rug in Brandon's room with streets and stuff on it (for playing with his race cars and Monster Trucks), and a whole mess of bedroom furniture still in boxes. We still have the Navy loaner furniture until our Household Goods shipment gets here; so when our new beds get here next Tuesday (bought them from the NEX across the street) it might get a little crowded. But it'll be worth it, because the loaner mattresses SUCK and we are getting a Tempurpedic. Woot.

I miss my kitchen stuff. I have a single pan from the thrift shop, and two pots - an All-Clad multicooker that I bought at the NEX (which is HUGE) and a little enameled aluminum pot from the 100 yen store (which is TINY). I've been buying only the utensils that I didn't already have, so I have a very large Oxo flexible spatula, a Y-peeler and new kitchen shears. I never thought I'd say this, but it was a blessing that the movers forgot to open the flatware drawer, because we had to mail it all to ourselves and at least we have it now.

We have American TV; we get the AFN (American Forces Network) channels and some cable networks. - Comedy Central, Food Network, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Nickelodeon, Noggin, etc...no Disney, though. :( (Although there are a couple of Disney shows on AFN Kids...yesterday we saw Johnny and the Sprites.) The funny thing is that for most of those networks (maybe all of them, I don't know yet for sure since we've only had cable for 3 days now) we seem to be getting the Australian broadcast of them, so the shows are actually on at normal times. Aside from a few station identification commercials with Australian accents, it's all the same.

Well. Brandon is piling up empty Ikea packaging and jumping off the couch onto a big pile of cardboard, so I should probably get going now. He wants to go "to the town" today, but it's a crappy windy day, so I think we'll be staying on base - but we do have to get out of the apartment today. It was gorgeous yesterday, and we were stuck here all day waiting for the Ikea delivery. Figures. Today is totally a "stay-at-home-all-day-on-the-new-couch-drinking-hot-cocoa" kind of day, but I don't think the kids (or I) could take another day all cooped up.

I'll write more when I think of more. Sayounara.

1 comment:

Mother Hoodwink said...

It all sounds so exciting. I can't wait to see more pictures!