Tuesday, June 2, 2009

the answer: round 3

This one was kind of tough because it was unclear what was actually in the cup. It's a clear cup with a red/dark pink label on it, so it's three separate layers, dark brown, light brown, and whitish.

Keith had the closest guess with coffee pudding. It's actually coffee gelatin. Now I don't mean some super sweet coffee-flavored jello - I mean black coffee with a gelatinizing agent added. Then a layer of gelatinous coffee with milk, then a layer of very sweet, vaguely caramel-flavored whipped cream, then caramel and nuts. There seem to be a lot of gelatinous desserts in Japan. I would almost say that they seem to prefer gelatinous over creamy, except that there's ice cream EVERYWHERE. (They call it "soft cream".)

On a related note:


Not really sure what a Coffee Jelly Frappuccino is. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

2 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

Hmm, interesting. By "interesting", I mean, "WTF? That's weird!"

Dianne said...

so at least I was correct about there being nuts on top!