Wednesday, June 3, 2009

an ode to my iPhone

Brian and I had a small disagreement as to whether or not I will bring my iPhone with me when we fly back to Philly next month for his brother's wedding. On the one hand, if I accidentally take it out of airplane mode and it starts transferring data over 3G instead of wifi, then we get slammed with international roaming rates.

On the other hand, it's so much more than just a phone, or even just a Facebook-and-Twitter device. It's a camera. It's an iPod (although I admittedly don't use it as one.) It's a calendar, a to-do-list, an address book, a calculator and an email checker. It tells me the weather and what time it is and what time it feels like (when I'm jetlagged). I use it for my shopping list, to check my bank account, and to track packages, calories and, uh, cycles. It's a digital book reader, an alarm clock and a photo album. I plan on getting an app to keep track of my knitting. I use it to play Solitaire, Minesweeper, BubbleWrap, and a number of different music games and quizzes that Brian downloaded when he bought his iPod Touch yesterday. (Still have to get Bejeweled!) It translates English into Japanese kanji and finds Japanese train routes; and it converts meters to feet and yen to dollars. (Although of course I won't have to do those last four in Philadelphia!) In short, it does EVERYTHING. I've had it a month and honestly don't think I could live without it. I've become completely dependent on the computer in my pocket.

"Look," I said, "all I have to do is put it in Airplane mode, then turn wifi back on."

"But what if you mess up?"

"I won't." I can't. I need this darn thing.

1 comment:

Mother Hoodwink said...

If Josh were to take a vacation in a submarine where there wouldn't be any wifi, he would still bring his. I understand the addiction. It's annoying, but I understand it.