Tuesday, August 18, 2009

having a daily activity eats up my blogging time

So I haven't been blogging much lately. So sue me.

I've been busy. Brandon is in week 2 of swimming lessons; every day around 11am, we make our way over to the pool at the BOQ (Bachelor Officer Quarters) for 45 minutes of songs, games, and bobbing under water. Well, Brandon does that stuff, anyway. Jackson and I sit at the side of the pool with our upstairs neighbors who are doing the same. (Turns out there's a family on the 6th floor with two boys around the same age as my boys. We met at story time at the library and coincidentally ended up in the same swimming class.)

It's tough sometimes to keep Jack from jumping into the pool - he really, really loves being in the water - but he does usually seem to understand that this particular pool is only for big kids. I did bring them both to the other pool (the one with a kiddie pool) after class one day last week, and while Brandon refused to practice the things he was learning in class, Jackson immediately imitated me when I started blowing bubbles in the water. It's a shame I wasn't able to take a parent/child class with Jack - I really wanted to, but what would Brandon be doing while I was in the pool with Jack? He's not quite old enough to be trusted to sit by the pool and read a book for an hour.

We've even started driving rather than walking. My sit-and-stand stroller is getting downright painful to steer, what with the 65+ pounds worth of children sitting in it and the center of gravity being so ridiculously far away from the handle. Plus, it's just been so darn HOT. I mean, one day last week we walked out to the 100 yen store in town after Brandon's lesson was over, and by the time we got back to our building, I literally had droplets of sweat on my arms. Like in a Gatorade commercial. I can't remember that ever having happened before.

So, despite my assertion that I would not drive anywhere that I could walk to in less than 20 minutes or so, I've started driving to swimming lessons. I've even been driving to the post office and grocery store (remember that the store is about a block away from our building), purely for the practice. We did take the car off base the other day, but Brian drove. I'm not quite to that point yet. It's not that I don't think I could do it - it's just a pretty big leap of faith to take, and I'm more scared of parking garages than anything else - parking a car is considerably more difficult when you're not sitting on the side you're used to steering from.

Brandon is still #2 on the waiting list for preschool - the same spot he was in when I signed him up in May. The economy is to blame - really. They put a halt on orders over the summer - meaning, they didn't write orders for anybody to move, anywhere. To save money. Only the people whose orders had already been written were able to move over the summer. So many, many less people than usual have transferred, and not a single student has withdrawn from the 2-day-a-week preschool program.

After all the work we did to get him using the potty in time for school, he might not be going. Stupid economy.

4 comments:

Dianne said...

Is there an opening in a class that meets more often? - Mom

Kerry said...

The 2-days-per-week class is the only one he's allowed to be in. The 3- or 5-day is for kids who are 4 by September 1st.

EmilySullins said...

Motivation to drive off base - do you want to come by next week and take my basil plants? No parking garage required, and only 2 turns from the base!

Kerry said...

Yes, absolutely! Thank you!