Monday, August 24, 2009

time to kill, time to quilt

For the last two weeks, I was bringing Brandon to swimming lessons every day. And for the last three weeks or so, I was re-reading Harry Potter. I finished reading on Thursday, and swimming lessons ended on Friday. The thing about reading such a long series, especially one that's so engaging, is that when you finish, you just kind of look up and think...okay, what now?

So now, with no daily activity to attend and no Harry Potter to read, I all of a sudden have nothing to do. I actually cleaned my kitchen yesterday. I have stainless steel counters, so cleaning them - really cleaning them - involves clearing them off and scrubbing with a Brillo pad. It took all morning. I even ran the self-clean cycle on my oven. I don't think it was 100% effective, though, since it didn't run quite as long as it's supposed to - Japanese power is slightly different than American, and it's an American oven, so the oven timer isn't accurate, it's a little faster than it's supposed to be. I haven't cleaned up all of the ashes yet, though, so I don't know for sure how effective or ineffective it was.

I spent most of Saturday working on Jackson's quilt. The whole thing is an exercise in futility, since he despises blankets. He absolutely cannot be covered up by ANYTHING while sleeping. This is a problem, since it is obscenely hot and humid, and the air conditioner is correspondingly strong, and we don't have a thermostat - it's either too sticky to sleep, or too cold. We had to move Jack's bed so that it's no longer in the direct path of the arctic chill, but still, he has trouble sleeping in his room.

But anyway. The quilt. A room just isn't a room without a comforter or a quilt, whether it actually gets used or not. So I decided to make one for him. This might be complete madness; I'm not much of a quilter. Actually, I've never made a quilt before. There is an excellent reason for this: I don't do precision. I don't cope well with tedious tasks. As a matter of fact, tedious things make me have to pee. (Don't ask me why, I don't know, it's just always been that way.) This is why I don't, generally, sew. I mean, I have a sewing machine, and I wouldn't want to go without one. I can do alterations and I make curtains every time we move. Basically, my sewing is motivated by a desire to save money; a feeling of, "oh, I could do that" - not a love of the craft itself. Cake decorating and knitting, I enjoy enough and care enough about to put in the effort to be precise. (Or at least to attempt precision.) But sewing, not so much. I don't have the patience. So I don't quilt.

But I decided to do it this one time, because I know what I want and I already had a bunch of fabric I could use. (I don't sew much, but I do have a fabulous fabric stash. Go figure.) So I bought a few more prints (apples for AppleJack - get it?, palm trees b/c he was born in Hawaii, birds because he loves birds, etc), carefully planned it all out on graph paper, and started cutting on Saturday morning.



By the time I went to bed on Saturday night, this is what I had:



I still have to put the border on it (multicolored polka dots on a white background) and then put it all together with the batting and the backing. And I have to find batting. But I think it's pretty good for a non-quilter's day's work.

Today...I clean the floors. And go grocery shopping before the enormous aircraft carrier pulls in to port and all of the sailors on board go to the commissary and buy all of the food.

1 comment:

k^squared said...

I have a stainless steel cleaner that is non-streak. It may save you some time on the counters.