Thursday, September 3, 2009

the answer, round 6

Well, somebody got the answer exactly right this time! I don't think it counts, though, since Emily lives here in Japan (for now, anyway), and seems to know more about Japan after...one year?...here than I ever learned about New Orleans or Hawaii in 3 or 4 years.

It's azuki beans. Says Wikipedia, "In East Asian cuisine the azuki bean is commonly eaten sweetened. In particular, it is often boiled with sugar, resulting in red bean paste (an), a very common ingredient in all of these cuisines; it is also common to add flavoring to the bean paste, such as chestnut." In Hawaii, they use it as a Shave Ice topping, although I admittedly never tried that. I still haven't ever eaten azuki beans...Jackie ate the whole sandwich. Actually he ate half, fell asleep with it in his hand, then woke up and ate the rest of it. Now I know what to get for him when it's time for a treat!

1 comment:

EmilySullins said...

Haha, I wondered if I should say! Our neighbors always served us canned azuki beans on vanilla ice cream for dessert at their house; that is one delicious treat. And I don't even like it any other way!