Friday, October 30, 2009

complete this sentence

"Thanksgiving Dinner just wouldn't be Thanksgiving Dinner without __________________."

So, yeah, I already have my menu pretty well planned out, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. We have a friend coming over, and he's bringing his Japanese girlfriend with him - he wants her to experience a "real American Thanksgiving". It's flattering, and ever so slightly terrifying. I want it to be perfect.

So...what one dish is absolutely essential at Thanksgiving? Lurkers, it's time to de-lurk. I need as many answers as I can get. :)

5 comments:

Mother Hoodwink said...

Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Stuffing
Candied Yams
Cranberry Sauce
Veggies (We usually do corn.)
Green Bean Casserole (Not sure if this is a staple yet but it seems to be turning into one.)
Rolls
Turkey (Duh.)
Pumpkin Pie

I don't think I forgot anything. Now that I've thought about this, I'm ready for Thanksgiving. Mmmm...

k^squared said...

In addition to previous comment...
Fake Cranberry Sauce for Keith
Real Cranberry Sauce for me
Corn bread muffins
Green bean casserole (almonds & fried onions)
Black Olives
Apple Pie
Peekin' Pie(Pecan - dreher joke)

Dianne said...

cranberry sauce
stuffing
turkey
mashed potatoes
Kerry's rice pudding
pumpkin pie

Dianne said...

I always jump for a moment when I see my name and then realize it's not me LOL

and here I thought there were no 2n'd Diannes

you've got everything from the other comments

I always do mac n' cheese
and biscuits

we also do some Italian dish - I usually make Baked Ziti but that's the Brooklyn factor ;)

EmilySullins said...

My essential Thanksgiving has to include two stuffings from scratch - one very traditional, and a family favorite of roasted pepper, raisin, and olive stuffing. Just wouldn't be the same without it. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Red-Bell-Pepper-Raisin-and-Olive-Stuffing-100309
We had our Japanese neighbor over last year for Thanksgiving, and it was a blast!