Saturday, October 24, 2009

guest list dilemma

It's time to order supplies for Brandon's birthday party, and I don't know how much to order. Because I have no idea how many people we're inviting.

Here's the thing: part of me wants to invite everyone in Brandon's class, because I don't want anyone to be left out. The other part of me counted the names on the sign-in sheet the other day and protests this plan because there are 18 kids in his class. And there are at least 5 other kids who AREN'T in his class, who we want to invite. And after all, there's going to be a "party" at school for everyone whose birthday is in November. (Although we're not allowed to bring homemade goodies for that. Grrrrr.) But how do we decide who to invite? I mean, when I ask who he wants to invite to his birthday party, there's 2 or 3 names that always come up. But when I ask about other kids - "Are you friends with x? Are you friends with y?" - he always says "yes". I don't know what these kids talk about when they're in school. I don't want anybody to feel bad because they weren't invited to the Monster Truck Party.

To complicate things, the party is the day after Thanksgiving. I don't know how many people go home for the holiday, but I can't help but feel that this might have an effect on attendence rates.

So what would you do? Invite everybody? Or just the ones who Brandon chooses? Is he old enough to choose his own guest list like that, if it means leaving people out?

FTR, the cake I'm planning, according to the charts at Wilton.com, will serve 70+ people, although I doubt that - those charts are based on teeny slices. So there will be enough cake no matter what. But pizza for 23 kids and their parents is an awful lot of pizza...

8 comments:

Dawn's Thoughts said...

Kerry I am speaking from a school point of view as this is what we say. If the invitations are going into the classroom then invite all. If you stand outside and invite people face to face with the invitation then invite who you want. I promise they all will not come. One year I had 26 girls for Kim's sleepover but that also included the girls in the family. As you sw at the wedding there are quite a few. Good luck. By the way for kids that little cut the pizza into 16.

k^squared said...

Ditto. Gotta invite everyone. Post the RSVP date 2 days prior to when you HAVE to order favors and stuff. And you can have the kids make english muffin pizzas.

Dawn's Thoughts said...

Those little muffin pizza's were one of my best party additions.

Mother Hoodwink said...

I would just invite everyone. Although it is hard because hardly anyone actually RSVPs these days. I RSVPed to my friend's wedding shower and her mom was all surprised that I called. Uh, your invitation told me to! Anyways, I like the english muffin pizza idea. If you have a ton of ingredients leftover, you can still use them pretty quickly. Throw in a couple of bags of chips and you're set.

If you're ordering special monster truck party supplies like napkins, plates, noisemakers and stuff like that, then I would order one or two packs of each then buy extras of stuff in a matching color. You could always use the plain supplies for other occasions.

Also, I can't tell you how bad Gavin would love to go to this party. MONSTER TRUCKS!! Damn ocean being too big!

Kerry said...

Thanks, guys. That was my instinct. I'm still unsure, though, because I asked Brandon, and he says he wants a small party. There are only 2 kids from his class who he wants to invite.

I would LOVE to do the English muffin pizza thing, but regardless of how big or small the party is, we're having it in the common room of our building, which has a fridge and a sink, but not a stove/oven. And since the party is the day after Thanksgiving, I'm not cooking a darn thing for it! (Except the cake.)

I think I'm just going to have to figure out who those two kids' moms are and try to find them one day after dropoff. Because now that I really think about it, Brandon does tend to get uncomfortable in big groups of kids. Oy vey. Why am I even having a party at all...

Dianne said...

Do you have a toaster oven you could bring down to the party room?

Kerry said...

No, lol. Brian won't let me get one, he thinks I'll start a fire and kill us all.

Dianne said...

I always invited all to my son's birthdays
If I can remember that far back about 1/3 attended

Jeffrey used to say only 1 or 2 names and then he'd be disappointed on the day if someone he never mentioned didn't come

I love the idea of just a few packs of theme napkins and plates and then the rest in a matching color

and definitely cut the pizza slices in half, they're playing and talking - they'll never eat much anyway