Thursday, February 4, 2010

taking the time to sit down and blog, to avoid doing the dishes

Holy crap, I'm a bad blogger. Here's a summary of what's been going on:
  • The boys and I were horribly ill last week. We're fairly certain that it was H1N1, as Brian was the only one who didn't get sick, and he was the only one who got the vaccine. I've never been so sick in my life, and that includes my bout with food poisoning a year ago. (I didn't go to the hospital for that, although I probably should have, so I don't know if it was salmonella or e.coli or something completely different, but I got it from a raw chicken and it was horrible.) That was intense and painful and drawn-out. This was intense and violent. We're talking, there was a burn in my esophagus from all the stomach acid, that made me feel like I was choking for almost a whole week before it healed. Jack finally started eating again - really eating - this Tuesday. We all got sick last Monday. Needless to say, he's lost some weight. :(
  • Brian's on the ship again. Two weeks this time, then two weeks home, then another two months out. Boo.
  • We're saving up for a trip to Australia next Christmas. It is stupidly expensive. It costs the same to fly from Tokyo to Sydney as it does to fly from New York to Sydney, despite being considerably closer. Somebody explain that one to me. The cost of our ENTIRE TRIP to the Big Island was less than the cost for ONE of us to fly to Sydney and back. And since I am NOT going to Australia without seeing the Great Barrier Reef, there's also the airfare from Sydney to Cairns and back. So I've had to find some room in the budget to put aside a significant amount of money every month - and I did. I cut our weekly grocery budget by 40% - yes, you read that right - simply by reestablishing my old practice of planning out the weekly meals, making a shopping list, and sticking to it. (Only going to the store once a week has helped a lot, too, as have simple tricks like buying frozen juice concentrate.) So either it really is that easy to shave $100 off of one's weekly grocery bill, or I was really being stupidly wasteful.
  • I got a new camera for Christmas. I've been slightly obsessive lately about researching lenses and accessories for it. In the process, I came across the micro 4/3 system. I was vaguely aware of it when I was shopping for my DSLR, but the least expensive one was $900 (most are over $1000) so they were pretty much off my radar. A new Olympus micro 4/3 came out available for pre-order this week for $599. And I WANT IT. This is my new obsession: I stare at pictures of it, and read and re-read the specs, and imagine traveling the world with this camera in my pocket. If we weren't already saving up for multiple vacations, culinary school, a new (used) car for Brian (when we get back to America), and (eventually) a down payment on a house, I'd put this on the "save up" list, but that list is already kind of over-saturated at the moment.
  • On the more realistic camera wishlist front, I really f'ing want a Lensbaby Composer. And a BUNCH of other lenses and filters and such.
  • Brandon is going to tap class now, and enjoying it very much more than ballet. He's also getting really good at making up songs, and he's really learning his letter sounds. A couple of weeks ago, he helped me roll croissants, and he was pretty good at it.
  • Jackson is talking, kind of. It's usually pretty easy to understand what he's trying to tell you, even though he uses the same five words to mean just about everything. He's in the stage of every little boy's development where they watch Pixar's Cars at least once a day. We're also really into Meet the Robinsons in our house lately.
  • Since I've also been really bad about uploading new pictures to Flickr, here's a few of my favorites from my new camera. (The ones without my kids in them, at least.)









1 comment:

Mother Hoodwink said...

If you're a bad blogger, I'm your bad blog reader. The less I blog, the less I visit other blogs.

I hope airfare goes down a bit. Maybe when it gets closer to your trip, it will. I'll cross my fingers for you.

I know the guy in the last picture is wearing that mask for other reasons, but ick, wearing that and a pair of goggles and a hat and a hazmat suit is the only way I would get close to those birds. Ugh... mites!