Sunday, April 18, 2010

the answer: round 7

The guesses we got this time were blueberry, blackberry and boysenberry. Good guesses all, but let's think about this: if the answer were something as obvious, and normal, as berry ice cream, would I have posted about it? Probably not. :)

It's lavender.

I had a lavender chocolate bar once, and I kind of hated it. It was like eating a (distinctly fragrant) flower. But if there's one thing you can count on when it comes to Japanese food, it's that the flavors are going to be well-balanced. This ice cream was actually really yummy. The lavender-and-plain-white-cream swirl (pictured in the previous post) was even better. (White ice cream in Japan usually isn't vanilla - it's just, well, sweet-cream-flavored.) I'm thinking of going back just for the ice cream. Mmmmmmm. (ps, View that picture full-size to see how absolutely superb my macro lens is.)

There's a completely different variety of purple ice cream in Kamakura. I haven't tried it yet, so expect another edition of "what's in that cone?" the next time I go there. :)

No comments: